Thursday, December 10, 2009

Progress?

Butterfly has been taking her supplements for nearly two weeks. Any changes? Maybe, kinda, sorta, not really.

The first week she was FANTASTIC. Call it the placebo effect. She was well-behaved, loving, understanding, sweet and just all around nice. She listened and followed directions. No breakdowns, no yelling, hitting or screaming. Just a genuinely sweet girl who was excited about the thought of getting better.

Then Saturday came and she was a little cranky. Sunday came (along with St. Nick's Day), and she was a little crankier. Which, we of course expected since she was getting presents. She has stayed pretty consistent the rest of the week - a little crabby, but quick to get herself back together. Also quick to apologize when she know's she's been hurtful or disrespectful.

So, while we didn't expect these supplements to be a quick fix, they have resulted in some improvements. Now, whether they are actually working already or B just thinks they are, I don't know. However, I absolutely will not complain. Her behavior has been great compared to the last few months, and I expect far worse around the holidays. So, I know the bumps in the road are going to start popping up very soon, that's okay. I am very impressed with her ability to recollect after a problem, and acknowledge what she did wrong. Big improvements!

Regarding Dr. D - we didn't find him. Our therapist recommended him based on recommendations she had received from other clients. I have found that chiropractors tend to be the better resource for getting a hair analysis, as our pediatrician doesn't seem to be a believer of the whole thing. The website for the lab that did the analysis is www.arltma.com. Not sure if this will help, but maybe they would know of someone in your area that does this? Also, I had no idea fish oil helped kids with their concentration. We will have to give it a try!

1 comment:

BT said...

Thanks for the update (so far) on the introduction of the supplements. And also for the info on how you "found" the chiro. I'll try inquiring in our area. I am very interested in the hair analysis. Also, there is a sort of table in the back of a book called The Connected Child (can't recall, but think it might be Purvis) that lists ranges of all sorts of stuff in a child's blood -- both normal ranges and typical ranges for an attachment challenged child. And gives recommended supplements and actions to get that component to move closer to normal. I keep meaning to request getting that detailed blood work-up from our family doctor and seeing what P's looks like. But it is yet another thing that I haven't gotten to. But I will.

Our kids both take a multivitamin, 250 mg of vit C, some vit D (can't recall the dosage), and a large dose of fish oil every morning. Sometimes the fish oil is a kid's formulation (in a gummy-style vitamin "tablet") and sometimes I just give them each one of our adult ones. I think it's important to get the good high-quality high-in-omega 3 stuff. In the US, you can also get this in a fruity liquid (Lisa Amos posted it on her site late this past summer), but that's not available where we live. Our kids just swallow the adult capsule quite readily, or chew up their kid's gummy. We have had them on it for about 1+ years now, and we did not tell them what it was for when we introduced it. Within about two weeks, we noticed remarkable improvements in energy control and concentration/focus. Not perfect fix, of course. And we also were introducing strong sitting in that era. And we were also just generally working on concentration and focus and increasing attention spans -- sitting still and not jiggling, sitting properly in a chair for schoolwork, etc etc. With lots of positive practice. But I am convinced that the fish oil was a crucial piece of the improvements we have seen.

Long comment, so I'll stop.