These past few weeks have been crazy. B. is having tantrums every day, and it doesn't matter what I do, they haven't stopped. Yesterday, I found the blog "Journey to Being a Normal Little Kid," by J. She is 8 years old and in second grade, just like B. We don't have internet at home, so I printed out the blog and read most of it to B. She seemed completely stunned that there was another girl out there just like her. Every time I read a RAD behavior that B does that J also did, she got this funny look on her face, like, oh, wow! I'm starting a journal at home for B. so maybe she can start getting some feelings out. When I was finished reading J's journal, she even asked if we could hang it on her wall, so when she started getting RAD behaviors she could read it. Now, this could be total manipulation on her part or she could have really meant it. Honestly, I have no idea which is true. But since nothing else is working, I'm going to take the highlights from J's journal and type it onto one page to hang in her room. So, I guess we'll see where that takes us.
On Sunday, we went to Indiana to surprise one of my best friend's for her birthday. She was visiting her boyfriend there,, and it was only a 2.5 hour drive for us. It was great to see her. It was hard having B. there, though, because she tries so hard to make herself the center of attention. And I always sound like the mean old lady not letting the kid have fun. I tried to ignore as much as I could, just so I could enjoy the day. All in all, it was great. Of course, B was dysregulated when we got home. I'll spare details but I dug up quite a huge pile of Lifesavers in her bedroom. Fantastic.
I've been feeling a little more relaxed these past few days, which has been nice. I got the free 30 day pass to Bally's, so I'm in my second week now. It's been really great. I get up and leave the house between 5:45 and 6:30. I'm able to get an hour in, then get cleaned up and head to work. It's perfect, because the gym is right on my way to work. It's made me feel better to have that time to myself, and I don't have to deal with B's drama in the morning. It's so wonderful to only have to worry about taking care of myself for those few hours. I'll be sad when my 30 day pass is up! My husband wants me to join, but I'm afraid to get locked into a contract right now, so we'll see. Maybe they'll have a deal I can't refuse come up over the next couple weeks!
Tonight I have to have B do her Valentine's. The good thing about Special Ed is we only have to worry about 7 students!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment